Saturday, June 29, 2013

Self-Care

Quite a few people, including several doctors and nurses here in the SICU, have kindly reminded me to take care of myself.  I feel good, and I think it's because sisters Julie and Mary and families are caring for me, and I am caring for myself.

1.  Julie and Mary have kept me supplied with good healthy whole-grain food.  From pasta soup to chicken salad to spinach soup, I have been able to nourish my body.

2.  I have left the hospital to sleep each night, usually at the Jones'.  I certainly couldn't sleep on the narrow bench in Joel's room, and I have felt perfectly confident in the care of the night nurses.  Plus they have my phone number.  Staying with the Jones has been especially valuable because they are exceptionally good processors - good listeners, but also with helpful Kingdom-based comments that have kept my eyes on the Lord.

3.  I have taken walks of about 2 miles each day.  The beautiful glass skyscrapers and old buildings in downtown Minneapolis are a feast for the eyes.  I wouldn't have guessed how much I enjoy watching people and looking at the architecture while feeling safe and getting good exercise.  I've also signed up at the local YMCA to continue lifting weights.

4.  Sister Julie and college roommate Shelley each sat with me for one day.  Their godly perspective and enduring love for me make them "comfort food" for my soul.

5.  I have eaten out three times, and the hospital cafeteria had grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup!  Felt like home!  I lunched at a sidewalk cafe called La Belle Crepe - delicious, unusual and the perfect temperature to sit and people-watch.  Shelley took me to The Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant - again unusual, extremely tasty and scintillating conversation!

6.  I brought a few things that have greatly added to my comfort - my slippers, my mug, my tea, enough layers (this room is COLD most of the time!) and the laptop.

7.  Pete is an extremely competent parent and household manager (he likes it clean!), so I am not worried about the home front.

I believe self-care is important at a time like this, and I think I'm doing great - yay for me!  And thanks so much to those who are making it possible.

No comments: