Saturday, June 1, 2013

Pete Writes about his Surgery

I am so so thankful for good medicine and all that goes with that – nurses, doctors, facilities, knowledge – I am so thankful. Several times I have been shaken with the thought of having this accident happen in another place in the world or another time in history. I most certainly would be an invalid.

When I found out I could have a spinal block instead of general anesthesia, I took it in hopes that it would not have the same side effects of my past surgeries, when I could not wake up, had urinary issues, etc., etc. So when I got done with surgery and woke up, I was totally alert and very thankful. But when hours later I still had not gone to the bathroom and I started to feel nauseous and throwing up and the nurse could not get  the IV started and the pain blocker started to wear off the knee and the catheter was too big so the nurse had to pull it out and start over and my body itched all over (the anesthesiologist warned me that a side effect of the anesthesia would be itching in the chest. He was wrong about the chest - it itched like crazy in another place which I could not access because of the catheter).  .  .  And they made me stay overnight in the hospital; I was flirting with discouragement.

In a matter of minutes, several things happened. My wife delivered a signed softball from the Svea teams; my children were along for the visit; the nurse gave me anti-nausea medicine and adjusted my knee.  It is so ironic and telling and kingdom-revealing that out of the worst of circumstances comes the deepest of praises.
Mini-quiz:  Which foot belongs to the leg which received the surgery??

No comments: