Sunday, November 6, 2011

You Won't Be Sorry part 2

We enjoyed a rousing Community Band concert today, with America the Beautiful, Stars and Stripes Forever, three medleys (Thanksgiving, the Twenties, and Western themes) and Bugler's Holiday with three excellent trumpets. The big story for us, though, was Sarah playing flute and "keeping up" with her fellow band members, most of whom probably played in college - twenty years ago or more.

At the end of the first rehearsal back in September, Sarah was in tears. "I'll never master this music! It's way too hard! These people have all been playing forever! This is the worst day of my life!" Etc., etc., etc. I must admit to a little fear that perhaps she was right, but I clung to her flute teacher's assurance that Sarah was ready to play with this group. Day after day she practiced and improved little by little. When the Kraemers invited her to St. Cloud two weeks before the concert, and she felt she could miss the rehearsal because "my teacher says I'm amazing!" I knew she had achieved the impossible.

I hope Sarah will remember this milestone - achieving something she thought she couldn't achieve - and attempt other "impossibilities."

No comments: