Monday, November 14, 2011

Another Busy Weekend

Today (Monday) I haven't been doing much - just the basics (teaching, essential housekeeping and making meals). I think it's because the weekend took a lot out of me and I don't have much energy for productive endeavors. This is my day of rest.

On Friday morning, Sarah and I went in to Herberger's Community Days to shop this great sale and use our $10 off coupons. Unfortunately, 80% of the sale items don't qualify for the coupon, but we finally found things we were happy to buy. Friday afternoon Pete got new poults, so I had to take Sarah to Cologne (about 90 minutes away) to meet up with Uncle Tom and his Sounds Like Love group from Sioux Falls - they brought Sarah the rest of the way to St. Andrew's Lutheran in Mahtomedi for this Christian singing and dancing event. When I returned home, I made a steak dinner to celebrate Joel and Daniel's 19th birthday; we 'd already given them their present.

On Saturday morning I woke Joel and Daniel and we went in to Herberger's, JC Penney's and Target and found good clothes and shoes for the boys - another birthday present. They will look sharp now! Back at home I helped Andrew and Philip complete everyone's Saturday chores - another birthday present - and made caramel bars for their bonfire party that night - another birthday present. Pete and I went to the YMCA to lift weights and picked up a few groceries before heading back home again, where he helped with the party and I got ready for Sunday's church and travel. Although Michelle was planning to pick Sarah up at the softball clinic, she wasn't sure she could get to the Sounds Like Love concert in time to bring Sarah to the clinic, so I had decided to go.

Sunday morning Joel wasn't feeling well, but everyone went to Sunday School and church anyway. Before departure, I had to get food ready for the Luther League potluck; gather the music, reading material, Sarah's suitcase and bat and flute and homeschool books; remind Andrew to get what he needed for the trip; eat, shower and get ready for church myself.

At church, I had to lead Sunday School music, practice with Eddie for his trombone solo, talk to several people about different things, figure out what to play for prelude, and then play for the worship service and make an announcement about choir practice. After one of the shortest postludes I've ever played, Andrew and I hopped in the car, stopped at home to pick up a couple of forgotten items, and were on our way. Fortunately, Mapquest allowed extra time for city traffic (I suppose) and instead of arriving at 2:30, we arrived at 2:10, even with a short stop for gas and food. We found the cousins and thoroughly enjoyed the concert by 200+ students, including Sarah and cousins Liz, Rachel and Nathan, led by John Jacobson and a fabulous jazz band. The choreography made it fun to watch and the band made it fun to listen to.

Sarah and I sped off to the clinic, leaving Andrew to go home with the Coats family so he could have some cousin time. Once again, Mapquest overestimated, and gave perfect directions, so we arrived at the University of St. Thomas with fifteen minutes to spare. I looked at a Christmas catalog and visited and walked with another mom, Linda, until the clinic was over and Michelle arrived. We went to Fuddrucker's and had yummy burgers, then hugged and I went to the Coats house. Mary and I discussed the Compline service that the whole Stadem clan will lead on the first Sunday in Advent, following which Andrew and I left for home. He entertained me most of the way with his thoughts, observations and knowledge. Nevertheless, I was exhausted when we entered the immaculate house - thanks Pete, Joel, Daniel and Philip! I went straight to bed and have been dragging around the house most of today.

When we signed Sarah up for this clinic, we agreed that we would take our Sabbath from Saturday noon to Sunday noon on weekends when she had the clinic. We didn't do it this weekend because we had to go in for Sounds Like Love anyway, but I can see that it will be very important to be disciplined about resting before traveling to the Cities on a Sunday!

No comments: