Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hanging over my Head

Yesterday was a day of accomplishment - I burned a DVD of the wedding of my friend's daughter. Two kids are at camp, one went to a cousin's, and the other two work full-time, so all I had to do was cook meals for the cousins who are staying and working here - and they left at 3pm. I had grand intentions of getting half my list done, but instead worked on editing the video footage and burning the DVD most of the day, with a break for Bible study. I also reorganized CDs while the computer was transferring, etc.

I feel much better than I'd expect to feel after only checking off one thing; I realize it's because this commitment was hanging over my head. Other people were involved, and it really needed to be finished within a reasonable amount of time. I had set a goal for myself of completing it by July 25 - one month after the wedding - but it's great to have it done now!

At Bible study, Carol was sharing that her house is hanging over her head, and it keeps her from getting out and enjoying life. I have experienced relational conflict hanging over my head, and I'm sure we all can relate to deadlines, illnesses or the troubles of others occupying our minds to the extent that everything else seems put on hold.

In Getting Things Done, David Allen accurately observes that getting things down on paper can relieve the weight on our minds of uncertainty as to our commitments. Perhaps another key to a clear mind is to identify the big things that hang over our heads, and do our utmost to clear them up first.

No comments: