Sunday, June 26, 2011

I Love a Good System

My kids think I'm a nerd because I know the words to "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" and half the answers on Jeopardy! and I like classical music and oldies (other than 50's or 70's, which they also like now). So don't tell them about this nerdiness - I love it when my things are well-organized. I've been reading and implementing a book called "Getting Things Done" by David Allen, who strongly recommends filing everything in folders with printed labels. I had things all over the house, in binders and boxes and school folders, but I'm gradually moving everything into one file cabinet. I find myself smiling as I go to create a new file folder, or file a piece of paper or a receipt, because the system is so good. I know I'll be able to find these things when I need them.

The other two books I'm currently reading for implementation are "The Simple Living Guide" by Janet Luhrs, and "Emotionally Healthy Spirituality" by Peter Scazzero. These three books are good to read together because they are complementary. The gist of the first is that if you can get everything off your mind and onto paper in a good system, then the power of your mind will be unleashed and you'll get more things done. The gist of the second is that we are seduced by our modern culture into believing that happiness comes from getting more things done and having more things, and we need to release expectations and things in order to find true happiness, which is found in relationships with people. The third, the only Christian book in the bunch, argues that many of us are missing out on God's best for us because we have never grown up emotionally, even if we are frenetically "growing" spiritually. "Mature spirituality and emotional health are inseparable." So the three books balance each other out, and while I'm getting more things done, I won't mistake that for the source of my happiness or for mature spirituality.

But I do love a good system!

No comments: