Monday, May 20, 2013

Give Thanks

I'm reading "One Thousand Gifts" by Anne Voskamp.  When her little sister died at age 6, it shut her family down and destroyed their faith in God.  She developed a critical, glass-is-half-empty attitude which colored her existence until her brother-in-law, who lost two toddlers to a genetic disease, pointed her to another possible perspective.  A friend dared her to compile a list of one thousand gifts from God, and eventually she wrote this book.  "Could it be that giving thanks is the key to a life of joy, that being grateful for what I have is possible and productive?"  (my paraphrase)

My recent struggles mirror hers to a lesser degree.  Since my last Silent Retreat (over two years ago!), when I accepted the challenge to "count my blessings," I've faithfully recorded ten blessings almost every morning.  But the rest of the day, I generally focus on what's wrong with my life, my family and my self.  Voskamp writes, "Could I live that - the choice to open the hands to freely receive whatever God gives?  If I don't I am still making a choice.  The choice not to."  Can I give thanks for the life I have now, the family I have now, the self I am now?  Even though some of it results from my own sin or mistakes or bad choices?  Lord, grant me the grace (charis) to give thanks (eucharistio).  And to finish this book!

No comments: