Monday, April 29, 2013

Change of Seasons

Well, spring has finally sprung in Minnesota!  With a breathtaking suddenness, warm temperatures and bright sunshine melted all the snow, enticed shoots of grass to burst out of the dark ground, and brought us all out of hibernation.  Just a week passed since our nerve-wracking drive in the blizzard; now we're wearing shorts and capris and studying outside.  Philip learned to do a back flip at Joey's birthday party, and now he can perform six in a row without any jumps in between.   Cousins Rachel and Beka visited for a few days and joined us in appreciating the glorious new season we've waited so long to enjoy.

We have recognized with increasing clarity that we are experiencing a new season of life.  With six people living at home instead of nine, and two of those absent regularly, I'm cooking for four or five most of the time.      Unfortunately, I can't seem to grasp that fact, and my pantry is stuffed full of bulk and sale-priced food.  Ironically, when I had nine at home, I did once-a-month cooking fairly often; now I don't even consider it, even though theoretically it should be easier to do.  My teaching time has expanded to fit the time available, so it feels like I'm spending as much or more time teaching just two students as I did when there were six.  Of course, I hope these two are receiving a better education!  :) 

Our three youngest children function almost as a separate family from the oldest four.  Their experience on the farm differs dramatically.  When Michelle was 11, there were 39 kids (18 and under) within a mile radius, including the two turkey farms and a neighboring family.  Now there are not many, and virtually none in the tween and teen age ranges.  The other kids were able to experience all sorts of team sports out in the yard.  These three - not so much.  In fact, not at all!  So we have allowed Sarah, Andrew and Philip to play school sports before they got their driver's licenses.  Which means we're in town constantly.

For some reason, I don't get up in the morning like I used to.  I remember walking with Judy Stadem every morning at 5:30, rain or shine, in the dead of winter with our faces bundled in scarves to keep out the bitter wind.  Now I rise at 6:30, and walk on the treadmill while watching "Jeopardy!" sometime in the morning.  We do stay up til almost 11:30 most nights.  Why?  A different season.

Although the previous season of our lives lasted far longer than this winter did, I have a lot of nostalgia for it. But I need to be thankful for the current season with its blessings and trials.



No comments: