Saturday, December 15, 2012

The End of Civilization as We Know It

I watched a new game show last night and was appalled.  We recently fixed our UHF antenna, knocked out by lightning over a year ago, and I decided to see what was on while folding clothes and soaking my feet.  I had noticed the ads for "Take It All" while enjoying "Jeopardy" on Channel 11, and thought it looked interesting.  It was.  Five contestants start the game, a combination of "The Price is Right" and the stealing game we do at Christmas.  They learn the price range of the prizes (Round 1, $5000-$12,000; Round 3, $33,000-$100,000) and attempt, through "opening" a new prize or "stealing" from one of the other competitors, to avoid possessing the lowest-priced prize at the end of the round.  The one who fails goes home with nothing.  That in itself should have been a warning sign to me that I wasn't going to like this game. So at the end of Round 3, law student Destiny enters the Prize Fight with the Porsche she "locked in," thus saving it from theft by Patrick, who therefore went home with nothing.  J.T. arrives with his private jet ski vacation, the top prize so far, valued at over $100,000.  Each draws an unknown cash prize, faces the other and starts talking.  J.T. assures Destiny and us that he intends to use his winnings to start an anti-bullying foundation, as he has always felt so alone in his homosexuality.  Destiny persuades him and us that the vacation to Italy is the main thing for her, and if they both choose to keep what's theirs, she will donate her cash to his foundation.  They're both crying when the moment of truth arrives.  If both press "Keep What's Mine," they keep it.  If both press "Take it All," both lose everything.  But here's the kicker:  if each chooses a different button, the one who pushes "Take it All" gets everything.  Naturally, you can guess what happened last night.  J.T. chose to keep what was his, but Destiny - with cash and prizes worth over $200,000 before she pushed the button - selected "Take it All" and walked out the door with winnings of over $400,000, sending J.T. home with nothing.  The entire audience gasped with mouths wide open; Destiny couldn't believe it at first, then raised her arms in the Victory sign.  "I took the risk.  I meant what I said about the vacation being the main thing, but hey - this is playing the game.  I won."  I wonder if she will donate her cash to J.T.'s foundation.  Oh, that's right - J.T. won't be starting a foundation.  He won nothing.  I won't be watching that show again, and it depresses me that there's an audience for it.  Is it the end of civilization as we know it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wonder if that was a legally binding verbal contract. Either way, Destiny is going to be a great lawyer... selfish, heartless, and soulless. I wonder if proclaiming to the world that you are scum of the earth is worth an extra $200k... I personally am appalled!