Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Value of Tentmakers Training

Today we met with three other couples to discuss possibilities for expanding the reach of Tentmakers training in the future. In reminiscing about the value of training, I was reminded of the various areas from which I benefited:

1. When we had to compliment the speaker at our table, I realized how foreign the concept of "looking for the good in others" was to me. I was used to criticizing the errors, scorning the blunders, despising the ineptitude of speakers. Tentmakers training taught me to find good qualities in everyone. I have often fallen back into my old habits, but at least I occasionally think about and get back to complimenting.

2. An ever-flowing fountain of questions to ask people, and an understanding of how very interesting most people are, have resulted in many fascinating conversations through the years.

3. "Compliment in writing; criticize only in person, and cushion with compliments."

4. Dreaming, setting goals, and implementing a Personal Management Plan have helped me think of the future in a purposeful way.

5. Understanding the value of an environment of encouragement has improved my directing skills.

There are more, but these are sufficient to explain my enthusiasm for bringing training to more people in the coming years.

No comments: