Sunday, May 8, 2011

School Sports - A Mixed Blessing

Well, are school sports a blessing or a curse? I know two teens who would say "a blessing": Daniel and Sarah! I also know a mom who would say: "a mixed blessing." Yesterday Sarah had a game at 5. I got done with a meeting at 4, rushed home, showered while making a salad to eat at the game, packed up all the stuff and Andrew & Philip, stopped at a grocery store to buy some water and extra food for hungry ball players, and arrived at the high school at about 5:30. After some confusion wandering around between the 2 games in progress (no Sarah), we discovered that her game had been moved to Swansson Field (back in town, near the grocery store, about 10 minutes away). I finally arrived at the correct game, only to realize that I'm a jinx! I still haven't seen the team play well (which they have done, just not when I'm around). They were ahead 5-2 when I got there; lost 9-5. Sarah spent the night with a friend on the team because their bus left for a tournament at 6:30am. When we picked her up last night (at 9:00pm!), she was red as a lobster - she'd been in the sun all day - and so exhausted she felt sick. Today she's been lying on the couch all afternoon and still feels tired. But does she want to play again? What do you think??? It's been great to watch her enthusiasm and skill. She plays third base all the time, and made several outs yesterday. She also mastered the art of bunting and laid down 3 good bunts, as well as walking, striking out, and getting a couple of hits. So it's all worth it! To Mom? I guess so...

No comments: