Monday, April 25, 2011

An Easter Blessing

We're hosting my sister's six kids for a couple of days while she and her husband are at a wedding in South Carolina (90 degrees there yesterday). To celebrate Easter and serve, Pete wanted us to go caroling in a nursing home - the residents get so much traffic and attention at Christmas time, but very little, we were guessing, for Easter. When he called, the gal suggested we come on Saturday instead, and sing in a gathering room where they have coffee from 2-3. Pete figured we could pick up the Jones kids at my brother's at 1:15, then head to the nursing home - perfect timing.

I was not too excited for several reasons: I still have no voice; we had two services, a church Easter breakfast and a family Easter dinner to prepare for; we didn't know what, if any, of "our" songs the Jones kids also know. But since I can't talk, I had time to think it over, and decided not to "say" anything. I figured I could do the necessary shopping while they were in the nursing home (since I couldn't really help), so I wouldn't lose any time.

When we got there, Pete wanted me to come in, possibly to play the piano or generally be another adult presence. The residents thoroughly enjoyed the six or eight songs they sang, especially "Amazing Grace", which they knew, and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star," requested by Abigail, age 3, who sang it enthusiastically. Pete & the 3 older boys sang "Beneath the Cross of Jesus," beautifully, as they had done Good Friday at church. Afterward, Pete had prepared the children to go around, shake hands and introduce themselves. Here, Abigail was the star of the show. I held her hand and we went around to each lady there (there were no men). As they cooed over her cuteness, she shook each hand, smiled and announced, "My name is Abi and I'm 3 and I play with REAL toys." We were the last ones out, waving and calling, "Bye!"

Despite my negative attitude beforehand, that event blessed me as well as everyone there. Thank You, Lord!

No comments: