Saturday, November 3, 2012

Perspective

I'm starting our Christmas newsletter by brainstorming possible items to include.  It's not every year that a trip to California will take second place in the contest for Biggest Stadem News.  Andrew's confirmation and David's college graduation pale in comparison with "Welcome, Callie!"  It's all a matter of perspective.

Shelley was in town all week helping her sister, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about a month ago.  She slept here last night as all the relatives descended upon Lori's house for the bridal shower tomorrow honoring Jamie, Lori's daughter, who moved her wedding date from next April to this December so she can be sure her mom will be there.  Their church and work communities have rallied around them and are doing a lot of the leg work for the wedding.  Jamie confessed to Aunt Shelley, "When I was getting married in April, I had so many requirements.  This had to be done my way and that had to be perfect.  Now none of that seems to matter; I just want Mom to be well enough to enjoy my wedding."  It's all a matter of perspective.

Only two days remain for Mitt Romney or President Obama to convince enough indecisive voters to propel him into office.  I tend to follow politics and obsess about my concerns, so I took a break from the scene this fall and refused to watch, read or listen to political ads or commentary.  I wish I could state that this cured me of my excessive interest, but I'm pretty sure that on Election Day (and for days thereafter) I'll be glued to the computer, trying to figure out what went right and wrong.  However, if a member of my family died or became severely ill or injured, I wouldn't care a bit about the elections except as a distraction from things of true importance. It's all a matter of perspective.

Lord, grant us a truer perspective on life and Your kingdom.  Amen.


No comments: