Saturday, July 14, 2012

Busy by Choice

Several things I've read lately have pointed out the trap of busyness and consumerism.  Companies and individuals sell Americans on the idea that more activities and more stuff lead to happiness, and that every person deserves and should strive to attain happiness.  Of course, Jesus talked quite a bit about happiness, but he usually promised that we would gain it if we gave up trying.  "Give and it will be given to you," "He who loses his life will find it," "Happy are you if people persecute you," and "Do as I've done and you'll be happy" sound quite different than "Have it your way," "Just do it" and "Have a Coke and a smile."  Regarding busyness, our prayer group affirmed that whenever we tell people, "Oh, we're so busy," we get nods and smiles and admiration because we're doing so much to make ourselves or others happy.  When is the last time someone replied with "Shame on you - slow down!" ?  

I do believe, however, that if I were able to say to someone, "I'm very relaxed; I only have one thing to do today," I would also receive nods, smiles and admiration - along with "HOW did you DO that?"   I may be able to achieve this in the summer, so that's my new goal - to reach a day with only one thing to do.  For that to happen, I have to finish:

1) History and speech from the spring
2) Reorganization of a number of areas in the house (getting rid of stuff!)
3) Culling and sorting of pictures and videos, and catching up on albums with the kids
4) Wedding preparation
5) County Fair projects completed
6) Program for Prinsburg prepared
7) And I'll have to be caught up on laundry, meal preparation and house cleaning

Sounds daunting, but I believe the Lord would smile if I could focus an entire day on my identity in Him rather than my identity as a "doer."

No comments: