Saturday, April 28, 2012

Gospel Truth

A friend and "coworker in the gospel" wrote in his ministry newsletter that he reminds himself daily of seven essential truths he's learned over the years - "We're in a war," "God loves me unconditionally" and so forth.  I thought that sounded like a great idea, because I too struggle with having to learn the same things over and over again.  So here are six of the truths the Lord has taught me through the years that I continually forget:

1.  Jesus will never leave me or forsake me.
2.  Jesus' grace is sufficient for me.
3.  God gives generously and without reproach.
4.  Being is more important than doing.
5.  Time with the Lord is as essential as food or sleep.
6.  I can take the blame for things that aren't my fault.

Here are four things I've been affirming (things that are true in the heavenly kingdom, but which I haven't seen worked out in my life on earth yet):

1.  Because Jesus Christ is living in me, I confidently observe the Lord's working in the lives of each of my kids.
2.  Because Jesus Christ is living in me, I cheerfully arrange my schedules and actions according to Pete's direction.  (I've seen real progress in this one)
3.  Because Jesus Christ is living in me, I gladly speak about Him often, praising and thanking Him out loud and praying with the children before and after any significant event.
4.  Because Jesus Christ is living in me, and I have been bought with a price, I glorify God in my body by keeping it in great shape.

The seventh truth will have something to do with joy.  I frown a lot - at home anyway.  I expect a lot out of the kids and when they disappoint, I frown.  I realize also that I think God frowns at me a lot.  I know that He could expect a lot more out of me than I deliver, so I think He's frowning.  And I think that's the way to relate to my children.  I have a feeling this is incorrect.  Lord grant me to know the truth and know You (the Truth) and live accordingly.

No comments: