Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Providential Miscommunication

Sometimes miscommunication works out for the best. On Thursday I played the organ for a funeral at Svea. A niece of the deceased, Kris, played a saxophone solo, beautifully, and remained on the praise platform for the rest of the service. The last hymn, "Precious Lord, Take My Hand," was in a different hymnal which had been handed out before the service. Kris didn't have the hymnal on the platform and wasn't singing the first verse. I tried to catch her eye and nod toward the correct hymnal sitting on a pew beside her, but she didn't get it. Finally I took advantage of a break in the music and actually pointed to the hymnal. Kris thought I pointed to her saxophone, so she picked it up and started playing along. Her beautiful tone and excellent improvisation provided a lovely addition to the hymn, and the congregation appreciated it. I didn't even tell her afterward that it had been a miscommunication - the Lord works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform!

No comments: