Tuesday, August 16, 2011

More Letters to the Editor

I get quite a few positive comments these days from friends, or people I meet, about my letters to the editor, which I try to keep short and to the point. Apparently one woman didn't appreciate that, and wrote a letter to the editor to me, accusing me of dumbing things down. Someone also sent me a clipping from another paper, a letter to the editor saying the rich should pay their fair share - but no return address or note inside. That was a little creepy. But I figure most people who disagree with me don't say anything - not in nice Minnesota.

Anyway, here are some letters I've sent:

sent 7/19/11

The Willmar Salvation Army's summer meals program, where they feed kids whose main source of nourishment is school lunches, is a prime example of filling a need without government involvement. They have received some state grant money in the past, but I am confident that if everyone reading this who has $5 or $10 to spare would send it to them, the state government could cut this program off. I'm mailing my check today - how about you?

sent 6/9/11

"82% of Willmar High School graduates are going to college" - Looks like neither the ever-increasing costs nor the government cuts to higher education are stopping anyone.

Sent 4/29/11

I'd like to clarify the misunderstanding I see in letter after letter about the difference between tax rates and tax revenue. Every time tax rates have been decreased in the past (under John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, and George W. Bush), tax revenues have increased - the total amount of tax collected has increased, AND the share of total taxes paid by "the rich" has also increased. This is because rich people take their money out of the taxable pool when tax rates increase. They put it back in when tax rates decrease, thus increasing the taxable pool and ultimately tax revenues. That's why raising tax rates, on the rich or anyone else, is not going to solve our deficit or debt problems.

sent 5/30/11

Rising standards of living for the nation as a whole are a good thing, and usually are accomplished in a general way (not just for corporate fat cats) by free markets and capitalism if ethical standards are upheld and followed. But the exploding standards of living of the last 40 years have not been accomplished by free markets, capitalism or increased productivity - they have been bought with borrowed money, both individually and as a nation. When loans are called, living standards must decrease. Unfortunately, it's not only those who signed the loans who suffer.


sent 3/29/11

We often whine that things "aren't made to last like they used to." But I remember when VW Beetles were amazing because they lasted 100,000 miles - that was unheard of. Cars, at least, are a much better deal than they used to be.

No comments: