Saturday, February 12, 2011

More on the Musical

Well, here we are on vacation, resting, relaxing and rejuvenating after a crazy January. Because the dates of the musical were changed, we will arrive home 3 days before Opening Night; therefore, all the music had to be ready - well, ready enough - before we left. I had a rehearsal with the whole group each week, and got together, on average, with 4 people or small groups for individual rehearsals each week in January. Plus figuring out all the choreography and writing one new song.

I thought everything went amazingly well, and I especially saw God's hand at work in the last week, when I was also trying to plan our school schedule, transportation schedule, meal schedule, etc., etc. for the kids when we were gone. There was still quite a bit to do with the music, and I hate to make phone calls to line up extra practices - you never know if you're calling at a bad time, and often I had to coordinate with 3 or 4 people whose schedules were crazy and never fit together - so I was almost ready to just drop some practices that I felt were needed. But....

1. Mike & Kathy L., who are teaching how to swing dance for the last big production number, showed up on Wed. night to help anyone who still needed it. And all four couples who I felt still needed help were also there. I don't think those eight people had all been there at the same time the whole of January!

2. I hadn't had a chance to work with the drummer, Ryan, because of illness and other unexpected circumstances. On Thurs. he came for the whole rehearsal and was able to play along with every song.

3. Russ, who has 2 parts to play and a solo line in a couple of songs, had to work during almost every rehearsal and we had only skimmed one of his solo lines in mid-January. Thursday's rehearsal went so long that he came out after work, and then was willing to stay afterwards and go through the solos until I felt good about it.

I know there were other little blessings from the Lord that I didn't write down and don't remember, but I thank You, God, for caring for us and working in and through us.

No comments: