Monday, December 20, 2010

Norling Christmas Celebrations


We had the Norling Christmas gatherings this weekend. The Palmer Norling family (my dad and his descendants) celebrated on Friday evening at my brother's home, and the Albin Norling family (my grandpa's descendants - he's been gone for 25 years) celebrated yesterday at my uncle's home.

What joy! At my brother's, the cousins had drawn names to buy gifts for each other. I wish you could have seen the grateful and giddy expressions on the little ones' faces as they hugged the cousin who had drawn their names and given them just what they wanted (thanks to the moms for good lists!). And especially the expressions on the givers' faces as they realized what a blessing they had provided. The Thursday snowstorm had prevented my big boys from shopping, so they left work early and found their cousin gifts on the way to the celebration - and did a great job! Michelle had brother Andrew's name instead of a cousin, and she made a poster with candy bars taped to it and a message using the words of the candy to say she'd take him to a coffee shop some time. Very creative!

Of course, the food at both potlucks was superb - ham dinner at one, turkey dinner at the other. At my uncle's, it was great to see my cousin Torry and his family, who moved to Orlando this summer to work for The Jesus Film. We were a small crowd this year - only 60 - because 4 families, totaling 23, weren't able to be there. Why so many, from my grandparents who had just 2 boys? Well, my dad has 3 children and 16 grandchildren (in the picture above), and his brother has 3 children, 18 grandchildren (10 have spouses), and 20 great-grandchildren. We all believe God loves people and wants more of them! Feasting and visiting with fellow believers who share the same values as well as heritage just can't be beat.

Also at my uncle Ray's, he thanked everyone for their prayers. Last year he was diagnosed with 90% aggressive prostate cancer. After treating it with radiation, natural foods, and prayer, it had shrunk to the point where they removed it this last August. They spent 3 days in the lab cutting it up and trying to find some cancer. They found 0% - praise the Lord! Ray knew that over 100 people were praying for him.

My heart goes out to people whose family times are filled with stress, strife, anxiety or bitterness. I pray that they may find a peaceful, loving family in the Church of Jesus Christ.

No comments: